to Fazakerley. It was common practice for this to happen when estates were left to a daughters family rather than to a son. John was the son of Roberts daughter, Mary Fazakerley, who married Bryan Hawarden.
The principle family home for many hundreds of years was Fazakerley Hall. The first mention of the hall was during the civil war, when it was noted that the hall had a chapel and a number of priest hiding places, but it would have existed as far back as the thirteenth century.
The family rapidly declined after the Civil War and sometime immediately before 1698 the hall passed by marriage from the Fazakerley family to Percival Ryce. Although a few years later the family reacquired hall, Robert Fazakerley, on his deathbed in 1731, with no heir, left the hall to a John Hawarden, provided that John changed his surname to Fazakerley This of course created a branch of the family who are not truly descended from the Fazakerley family..
In 1820, Joseph Hawarden went bankrupt and Fazakerley Hall was sold to a member of the Walton Family, a Richard Bullin.
Richard was the Nephew of Thomas Leyland "Thomas Leyland was Liverpool's first millionaire and three times Lord Mayor.", who owned the adjacent Walton Hall.
It is unclear how many times the hall was rebuilt, but certainly at least once in 1823. There are no images of earlier buildings, but there is one photograph of the hall that was built in 1823. The photograph was taken in 1910, when the hall was nearly one hundred years old.
Fazakerley Hall 1910
In 1930, part of the Leyland Naylor Estate and occupied by two brothers, Thomas and Isaac Atherton, the hall was sold it along with fifty acres to Liverpool council who built the